NOTICE OF FAIR HOUSING AND COMPLAINT PROCESS FOR THE COUNTY OF SOMERSET, TOWNSHIPS OF CONEMAUGH, JENNER AND SOMERSET AND THE BOROUGHS OF SOMERSET AND WINDBER
This notice will serve to advise all residents of the County of Somerset, Townships of Conemaugh, Jenner and Somerset and Boroughs of Somerset and Windber, that the following actions, if based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, familial status (families with children) or handicap (disability) is prohibited by Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act of 1968 (Federal Fair Housing Act) and the Pennsylvania Human Relations Act adds the additional protected classes of age, ancestry and use of guide or support animals because of the blindness, deafness or physical handicap of the user or because the user is a handler or trainer of support or guide animals are considered discriminatory:
- Refusing to sell or rent to, deal or negotiate with any person.
- Discriminating on terms or conditions for buying or renting housing.
- Discriminating by advertising that housing is available only to persons of a certain race, color, religion, sex, national origin, familial status or handicap (disability, age or ancestry.
- Denying that housing is available for inspection, sale or rent when it really is available.
- Blockbusting for profit, persuading owners to sell or rent housing by telling them that minority groups are moving into the neighborhood.
- Denying or making different terms or conditions for home loans by financial institutions.
- Denying to anyone the use of or participation in any real estate services, multiple-listing services or other facilities related to the selling and renting of housing.
If you’re a person with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation, please contact the below Fair Housing Officer.
If you’re Limited English Proficient and require a document translation, please contact the below Fair Housing Officer.
All residents are hereby notified that Steven R. Spochart is designated as the Fair Housing Officer for the County of Somerset, Townships of Conemaugh, Jenner and Somerset and Boroughs of Somerset and Windber, and that any resident that believes they have been discriminated against under any of the above conditions may file a complaint with the Fair Housing Officer at the following address and/or telephone number:
Steven R. Spochart
Redevelopment Authority of Somerset County
300 North Center Avenue – Suite 520
Somerset, PA 15501
Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission Pittsburgh Regional Office
301 Fifth Avenue Suite 390,
Piatt Place Pittsburgh, PA 15222
TTY: (412) 565-5711
Public Service Announcement
Housing discrimination is illegal. The Federal Fair Housing Act prohibits discrimination because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, family status, or disability. Remember the only way to stop housing discrimination is to report it. Call the Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission at (717) 787-9780, or contact the Community Development Block Grant administrator in Somerset County, the Redevelopment Authority of Somerset County, at (800)847-1878 or (814) 443-2780.
RESOLUTION APPROVING APPOINTMENT OF SECTION 504 OFFICER
& ADOPTION OF GRIEVANCE PROCEDURE FY2020
WHEREAS, as a CDBG Entitlement Grantee with more than fifteen (15) employees, the County of Somerset must designate a Section 504 Officer annually. This designation must be made in writing and at a public meeting. A copy of this resolution must be submitted with its annual CDBG application;
WHEREAS, the Section 504 Officers duties include:
- Compile and maintain Self-evaluation of the County of Somerset’s facilities, hiring practices and citizen participation, as well as each activity funded with the CDBG grant, to assure that there has been no discrimination in the providing of services based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, familial status, age or ancestry.
- From the Self Evaluation, the County of Somerset will develop a Transition Plan to provide a timetable and responsible entity to bring the County into compliance. The Section 504 Officer will oversee that the County follows the Transition Plan and brings the County into compliance.
AND WHEREAS, the County of Somerset has developed a grievance procedure that must also be adopted publicly, incorporating due process standards and allowing for prompt local resolution of any complaints of discrimination based on disability.
- Any individual or authorized representative who believes that they have been denied opportunities or treated differently due to their race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, familial status, age or ancestry may file a complaint with the Section 504 Officer. The 504 Officer must act on the complaint and maintain the records of the process and monitoring.
BE IT RESOLVED, by the Commissioners of the County of Somerset, Pennsylvania, that it has designated Steven R. Spochart, Executive Director of the Redevelopment Authority of Somerset County and Jodi Lepley, Human Resources Director for the County of Somerset, as the Section 504 Officers and has adopted a Grievance Procedure as required in compliance with 24 CFR Part 8, Subpart D §8.53.
DULY, adopted by the Commissioners of the County of Somerset, Pennsylvania this 18th day of May, 2021.